Michigan City, IN 46360
Built in 1904, the lighthouse has become the most popular symbol of Michigan City, and is the only public operating lighthouse in Indiana. The elevated walkway, known as the “catwalk”, was used by lighthouse keepers for 29 years to access the light tower. In 1933, this light on the east pier was electrified, and in 1939, the U.S. Coast Guard took over the service. Today, aside from its primary function keeping ships away from the beach, it serves as a beautiful location for photographers and pharologists alike!